Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ornament Punch Acorn & Leaves #2 Die

I've had so much fun experimenting with my Big Shot Leaves #2 Die and also trying out a new use for Stampin' Up!'s new Ornament Punch which coordinates with the Delightful Decorations stamp set. I was inspired by Ellen Kemper's acorn she made from this punch here, and this being fall and all, I just had to try it. Besides, I told my ladies that this punch can be used for more than ornaments, so I had to prove it. : )

After I made my acorn, I had to figure out a card to put it on; I was having trouble coming up with a subtle not-too-busy background. I was wishing SU had a leaf Texturz Plate or embossing folder. Hmm, maybe I could make my own? I could experiment with the Leaves #2 die? I diecut two of the leaves (three layers of cardstock), the oak and maple-looking ones, ran them through the Big Shot with my Ruby Red cardstock and Viola!, my deeply-embossed leaf background! WooHoo! Don'tcha just love it when an experiment turns out like you hoped?! I can't wait to try it with other die cuts using my Sizzix-Big Shot dies and also our punches!! What possibilities!!

I lightly misted my cardstock before running it through. Here's the sandwich I used from the bottom up: Multipurpose Platform (comes with the Big Shot from Stampin' Up!) opened to Tab 1, Cutting Pad, leaf die cuts, cardstock, Texturz Silicone Rubber, Texturz Impressions Pad. It was a tight fit but went through fine. Each Big Shot will vary just a tiny bit so you may want to try it with no tab first and see how it works for you.

Here's my finished card. The acorn is punched from the beautiful Autumn Traditions Designer Series Paper in More Mustard and Soft Suede prints. I sponged it with Soft Suede ink, adhered it with Dimensionals onto pierced and sponged Sahara Sand (this goes great with Soft Suede!) then Whisper White. This was then layered onto the Ruby Red leaf-embossed background with a strip of Soft Suede Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbon. The card itself is More Mustard cardstock.

For the sentiment, I stamped the "Grateful" on More Mustard cardstock with Soft Suede ink, punched it with the Modern Layer Punch then layered it on a Modern Label diecut (which is a little larger ) cut with the Movers and Shapers die and the coordinating die from the Punch Windows (#115953, set of 4). Two Antique Brass brads from the Vintage Brads package complete it.

Thanks for coming by today! Have some fun stampin' soon!

Margaret

10 comments:

Ellen Kemper said...

This is fabulous! I LOVE IT!

Clever clever clever background and your acorn looks great punched from that paper.

You took that acorn to a whole new level!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

This card is amazing! So beautiful, TFS
Diane

Patty Bennett said...

Wow.. this is WAY too cool!! Thanks for experimenting for us!! Can't wait to try it! Patty Bennett

Cindee Wilkinson said...

Your embossing leaves are fabulous! What a great idea. I bet we could do that same thing with other dies. Heart for Valentines day, Dove for Christmas cards......Thanks for sharing.

French Fry and Tater Tot said...

AWESOME!!! I love it! I just tried it with the pumpkin...super cute idea!! Now I will never leave my stamping room. =)

Deidre Mooney said...

wonderful Margaret...very clever of you! Deidre M

Anonymous said...

Thank You for yet another way to use our new wonderful ornament punch! Great job and love the card!!

Linda H
Sacramento, CA

Sonja said...

This is awesome! I love embossing and am so excited to try this! Thanks!

Barbara said...

I'm just LOVING this idea!!! Thanks for encouraging me to purchase that leaf die.....I've been thinking about it for some time and you've just pushed me over the edge! Gotta try this soon!!!

Tammy Q Howell said...

Great idea! Love the acorn and the background is so neat. Will have to try that technique. I have done that with embossing with a stylus and it worked, but this is so much faster!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...