Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fabric Flowers Abound!

It's great to be back to my blog!  I've been away for several reasons but now plan to be here on a regular basis again!  Thanks for sticking with me and visiting again!  You are so appreciated!

I have been making these fabric flowers until I think I might could do them in my sleep!  LOL!!  I was making them for a table at a recent Administrative Assistant's Day event.  In the first picture you see one of each of the fabric combinations we (friends and I) made.  I'll show some close-ups of some today and the rest tomorrow.

Most of these flowers are made with fabric, mostly calico weight, although I did use some drapery fabric on the one which also includes denim.  It looks fun on a denim jacket or vest, although any of these flowers also look good on tote bags, quilted bags or purses, on headbands or hair clips also!

The idea and directions for these flowers comes from the co-founder and CEO of Stampin' Up!, Shelli Gardner.  Last summer at Convention, she showed one she made using the Flower Folds XL Die for the Big Shot which received an enthusiastic reception from the demonstrators present!  She has received so many requests for the directions that she put them on her blog SoShelli.com CLICK HERE for the tutorial.  I did do one or two things differently; rather than sewing (which I did on my first few flowers and is time-consuming), I used fabric glue sparingly and also Crystal Effects.  Those products worked great on the weight of fabric I was using!  Again, just be sparing with it; use enough to hold it but not saturate or wet it down.


Now for the flower pins for today:

Rich pink and black prints, including a pink and black leopard print!   Fun!







The blue pin is made from coordinating drapery fabrics with a lightweight medium blue denim addition.
Spring green print with black and white has a very crisp clean look!  Love that color green too!



This spring green and turquoise has touches of lavender in it.

On all the flowers, I used extra full layers of tulle cut out with the same Flower Fold XL Die.  I did not fold them but layered the flat "flower" between the bottom and middle layers when assembling the flower.  It gives another dimension to the flowers, as well as some sparkle (I used what the store calls Shiny Tulle because it does have a shine to it under the lights.  I also used some tulle in black and also white that had little dots of glitter on it, so that really added some bling!)

I'll be back tomorrow with pictures of the remaining fabric flowers.  See you then!

Thanks for visiting!

Margaret

1 comment:

Nikki Bond said...

These are fantastic Margaret! {SMILES}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...