Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Sounding Joy (x 2)

Hi!  Hope you are having a good weekend!  We're having beautiful weather here in Oklahoma today, a little chill in the air and bright sun!  So enjoyable after all the heat of summer!

When I first saw the Stampin' Up! Holiday Mini catalog, "The Sounding Joy" set caught my fancy right away.  I love the swirly scripty (is that a word?  lol!) large words and the star shape made up of the words to the song many of us have sung every Christmas since we can remember!  This set has great possibilities of making simple but elegant cards that could be mass-produced for my Christmas cards.... so I bought it first thing!
Two weeks ago I designed this card for our October INK Demonstrators meeting Stamp-a-Stack.  I die cut the Whisper White circles with the new 3" Circle Die (love it...so useful!) and the Cherry Cobbler with the Scalloped Circles #2 die.  (Isn't it great how these two layer so perfectly?!)  The white circle was stamped with the star-shaped words in Pool Party for the background;  I then stamped "JOY" with VersaMark and heat embossed it with luscious Cherry Cobby Embossing Powder which gives it a raised and shiny finish!

The white layer was textured with the Northern Frost Embossing Folder and then wrapped with that gorgeous quilted Cherry Cobbler ribbon (Holiday Mini).  All this is layered on a Cherry Cobbler card.

Today I decided to do a little different twist on this same design by adding more Pool Party color to the white textured background.
The focal image is the same as the first card; I just brayered the same Pool Party color ink as is on the white circle onto the Northern Frost Embossing Folder before running the white cardstock through the Big Shot.  That really made a difference, don't you think?  I love that technique; it is really simple and gives a big pop to these snowflakes!
I also changed the ribbon and rhinestone placement on this card, as well as stamping the other large word stamp (Let Earth Receive Her King) in Cherry Cobbler ink on the Cherry Cobbler card base to give it more depth.

I wish I had better photography results but I had lighting issues today. : (  (or maybe I wore out my camera on my trip? lol!)  In person there is more distinction between the Cherry Scallop Circle and the background because the circle is raised up with Dimensionals on both cards.

I like both these cards but which one do you like better?   It was fun to "case" myself and change the first card up a little bit.  : )

Have a good weekend wherever you are!  Hope you get to stamp a little (or a lot!) too!

Margaret

3 comments:

Rose said...

Margaret, both card are very elegant looking, and they don't look like they took forever! Love them.

KellyRae said...

Wow! I thought the first version was fabulous, and then you showed the second version with the pool party on the background. Now that's amazing. It truly did make the snowflakes pop. Thanks for sharing both versions.

maurita said...

i love the second version, margaret! and yes, i believe scripty is a word! of course, as in many foreign languages, it is feminine gender!! lol!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...