Friday, August 14, 2009

Blogger's Challenge #112 - It's Your Birthday!

I've missed several of these lately so it's great to be back participating again! I really enjoy these challenges...they make me think! lol! Actually, I made this card for a dual purpose (don't you do that too?). This was also for a kicked-up small group (of 5 people) Shoebox Swap at the SU Convention last week and could take 15-30 minutes if needed, rather than the usual 5 or 10.

The concept I had in my head was to make a birthday card that looked like a gift box and would fit in a standard quarter-sheet size envelope. I cut my Pretty in Pink cardstock 9 1/2" x 4 " and scored the fold at 4 3/4". I chose a Designer Paper that could look like wrapping paper, Tea Party, for the front and added a strip of Celery Grosgrain Ribbon up the center. Then a white "lid" which is actually a flap was cut and mounted to the top back of the card which opens at the bottom (see picture below). A strip of So Saffron card stock was scalloped and added to the underneath of the "lid" which has a small square of Velcro underneath to keep the card closed.

Next came the Celery Grosgrain Ribbon flat bow with flowers and leaves to adorn the top of the "lid". For the flowers, the single large flower from Petal Pizzazz was stamped in So Saffron and the leaves in Certainly Celery. These were cut out and a Pretty in Pink circle for the center was punched out and a Celery brad added. The Sweetest Stem Sizzix Embosslit was used to emboss and cut out the smaller pink flowers all in one pass through the Big Shot.

I stamped the "Happy Birthday" from the On Your Birthday set in Certainly Celery on Pretty in Pink cardstock. This was punched with the new Modern Label Punch and adhered over the ribbon with Dimensionals. I left the inside blank until I know to whom I'm sending it, then I will choose an appropriate verse. : )

This was an original creation and I was pretty pleased with the result; hope you like it too. See what the other talented Blogger's Challengers did today for the birthday challenge here: Bloggers Challengers.

Stamp sets: Petal Pizzazz, On Your Birthday
Inks: So Saffron, Certainly Celery
Paper: Tea Party DSP; Pretty in Pink, Whisper White, So Saffron card stocks
Accessories: Modern Label Punch, 1/2" Circle Punch, Sweetest Stem Embosslit, Big Shot, Paper Snips, Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots, Celery Grosgrain ribbon, Scallop Border Punch, Signo White Gel Pen. All products at Stampin' Up!

Thanks for dropping by! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. Have a good weekend!

Margaret

19 comments:

Tami Black said...

Margaret,

Very clever and I love the way this opens up. Gorgeous!

Chrissy D said...

Ohhh this is a BEAUTY!!! love it!

Connie Babbert said...

This is great, Margaret! Love your creativeness!

Anonymous said...

Love the card. Ican't believe how creative you are. Thanks for sharing.

Diane McKern

Unknown said...

What a great card/box box/card oh yopu get what I mean!
Sharon L

Ida said...

How FUN is this card. It's just adorable.

Lisa Bohler said...

What an absolutely lovely card! Love the flower topper!!!

Jane Giggy said...

Love your card! Who wouldn't want to receive this for a birthday card?
The concept is so creative and love the colors, etc.!!!!

Rachel Hope said...

So pretty! Love the fold and the colors and the flowers!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is beautiful Margaret! I love that Tea Party paper! Your flowers turned out great too! :D

Lori said...

Fabulous design--so clever!

Basement Stamper said...

Wow! This is so cute. I love the colors of it and I have a birthday coming up next month and this would be perfect for me! (he, he, he)

Barbara said...

What a fabulous, wonderful card! Just love it....the colors, the layout....just everything! Definitely a WOW!

Nikki Bond said...

OMGOSH...this is gorgeous! Love everything about it Margaret!....beautiful! {SMILES}

Sheryl Dickinson said...

This is awesome! It really does look like a package--great job on layering all of the elements!

Selene Kempton said...

i love the paper you chose.. so happy!

Lisa Somerville said...

Very creative, love all the extra details.

Anonymous said...

this project is VERY nice! Glad you got to play along.

Patti Chesky said...

FAB-U-LOUS!!! I love everything about it!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...